No one ever wants to be involved in a car crash, but unfortunately, accidents occur all the time, and getting yourself caught into one is not impossible. However, the process can go a lot smoother if you are prepared. As a personal injury attorney, I hope that you will never have to call me, but there are cases when you may strongly regret if you don’t.
- Call 911 and report the accident. The first thing that you should do is call 911 and report the accident to the local authorities. It is crucial that you have a police report when filing for a claim with your insurance company. However, a police report can prove to be extremely helpful in an injury case as well.
- Take pictures of all vehicles involved. The saying: “A picture’s worth 1000 words” cannot be truer than in such situations. Snap as many pictures as you can with all the vehicles involved in the crash. Everyone has a camera phone these days. All you have to do is just point and shoot.
- Report the claim to your insurance agency. Make sure that you report the accident to both insurance companies (yours and the one of the at-fault party). Even if you have additional insurance benefits such as medical payments, you still need to file a claim as soon as possible.
- Make sure that you follow treatment. Even if the accident was minor, make sure that you go to a hospital and have yourself examined.
- Consult a professional injury lawyer as to what claims you are entitled to.
Keep in mind that car accidents can be very confusing times and many insurance companies will try to take advantage of this. An experienced personal injury attorney will look out of your best interest and negotiate the best possible settlement for your loss.
The Law Office of R Sailer is a professional law firm that offers professional services at fair rates. If you’ve been involved in any sort of accident, then make sure you give us a call and start the claim filing process as soon as possible. Our offices are located in Long Beach, CA and you can easily find us at (562) 391-1666.